Publications: Book 1
The SENCO Survival Guide The Nuts and Bolts of Everything You Need to Know (Edition 3)
Price: £19.99Buy on Routledge
The SENCO Survival Guide, Third Edition is an informative, accessible resource containing practical advice to help SENCOs manage their responsibilities and lead their school effectively towards a common goal.
The book sets out a whole school approach to inclusion and supports SENCOs in mainstream or special schools at every key stage. This fully revised new edition features:
- a focus on high quality teaching, with ideas for classroom practice to include and engage all children and young people
- an introduction to SEN support and education, health and care plans, based on the Code of Practice graduated response
- strategies to break the cycle of SEND low achievement and guidance on how to create a SEND-friendly environment
- advice on the role of the modern SENCO, including assessment, provision mapping, preparing for OFSTED, disability discrimination and equality
- advice on training, managing and deploying teaching assistants effectively
- strategies to improve ‘pupil voice’ and independence
- ways in which the enhanced role of parents can be harnessed in order to achieve maximum success for learners with SEND
- conclusions from the author’s new ‘field research’ in mainstream, special and Post-16 settings
This resource gives SENCOs the confidence, skills and knowledge to promote maximum achievement for learners with SEND and will help them develop and shape their schools’ policies and practices. It will also be of use to other members of staff looking for practical strategies to raise the attainment of pupils with SEN and disabilities.click here to read my latest blog.